Will at school for Cartoon Day. Superman was a cartoon too, right?

I LOVE pioneer day because I secretly wish I could have lived back in simple times. BUT I don't mind modern conveniences either.
Will is making butter in this picture. A practice in patience.

Then making candy apples. Yummmmm.

I love the color. I've always made carmel candy apples BUT these look more festive.

Here's the recipe:
Traditional Candy Apple
Makes 30 Apples
1/2 cup Butter
7 1/2 cups clear corn Syrup
1 tbsp Vanilla
7 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 to 3 cups Cold Water
2 tbsp Red Food color
30 Red Apples
30 Wooden Skewers
Topping Suggestions:
Mini M&M's
Sprinkles
White Chocolate
Dark Chocolate
Chopped Nuts
In medium saucepan combine sugar, water, vanilla, syrup, butter and food color. Only fill pot a maximum of half full or will boil over. Bring to a boil on medium-low heat to melt sugar (approx. 4 minutes). Stir constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until candy thermometer reads 250 degrees F. Mixture should be hard and chewy (Not Brittle) when dropped into cold water. For slightly harder candy apples heat to 260 - 265 degrees (never above).
Do not let mixture heat over 250 degress F while dipping apples (200 degrees F works best for dipping). Hold apples by skewers and dip into syrup. Roll or drizzle toppings and place on buttered cookie sheet to cool.
Note:
Make sure to stir well before dipping apples. Butter will separate and then syrup will not stick to apples.
When making syrup for 30 apples it takes approximately 2 1/2 hours to cook syrup.
Can make ahead. Cook syrup to 250 degrees F and then let cool in pot. Save for up to week or place in fridge or freezer for a month. To reheat, place on low heat and let melt. Once melted, reheat until 200 degrees F before starting the dipping process.
Apples should be room temperature and completely dry
Once dipped apples take about 20 to 30 minutes before ready to package.

No comments:
Post a Comment