The teachers have always been saying that Will does not keep up with the rest of his class. For the record, I was not worried about such a comment. I know Will, I know he's capable ... I also know he likes to do things at a snail's pace.
Because we couldn't explain why he is the way he is, we had a Psych assessment done to understand a little more about how he learns. It was the best $2100 I have ever paid in my life. I was told who Will is and why he isn't keeping up. It has also helped me in being more considerate of his slow pace in life. My Aunt told me it's a blessing that he is so easy-going and doesn't seem to have a worry in the world...but somedays - when we're in a rush to get out the door....I became very short with patience. I am now so much more understanding.
Anyway, it also happens that the lady doing the Assessment toured Will's school to understand their methodologies and teaching styles. Based on her explanation of Will and understanding of the program - she says he is 100% in the wrong program. He is intellectually average with all other children his age. However the way Will needs to be taught and supported cannot be offered by his school. Bascially, the assessment stated he is below average in his ability to process the information he receives. He needs more time to digest the material being provided. The school presents the information in a very scheduled, almost militaristic manner. Such a program has no room for flexibility in providing additional time to Will. And when we want the best for our children individually .... we knew we had to move Will. However, if you know me then you know I want my kids to be together. And no greater disappointment could have arrived to me - to find out they are being separated. This was supposed to be our year. The year when I have more enrollment on campus than any other family. When the boys can meet up together on the field at recess. When they can be there for each other and share in fun school experiences.
After all was said and done, I (with Ryan's acceptance) decided to support Will through this year, and stay to finish Grade 2. Please know, Will comes home with 20/20 on his spelling test. He's understanding the material. But there will come a time when the demands will increase and Will's need to have more time to process will not be provided to him. It's not ideal for him to stay but he's not going to fail. He's just going to need reinforcement at home. Part of our decision making came from the scheduling nightmare that occurs when trying to deliver children to 2 different schools. As well, as consideration of the potential cost to Will's spirit when being uprooted from the only school he knows - and that his brothers will continue to attend.
I pray that we've made the correct decision. In the end, Ohana has the most weight.
Two very important people in our life quoted, "When one door closes, another opens"
I was considering moving Logan next year because he moves off the elementary campus. Perhaps, I would have stayed with the program because it was 'easy' and 'familiar.' It's very possible that Will's experience has provided the fire and drive I needed to find a source of education for all of them. My next focus: K-9 school where they can be together from this year, going forward. This brings warmth to my heart.
6 comments:
Hey jenn, I cant find your email address ! Can you email me at oinorton@gmail.com?Ortensia-:)
Ok I left you another comment that disappeared: are you thinking of RDL? And you are an amazing mother. They are so lucky to have you- their # 1 supporter. So glad you got the info you needed for Will. He will flourish with your help , so don't worry about it being a wrong decision.Ortensia :-)
You are an amazing mom. I'm happy you are supporting Will by letting him finish up this school year. You can do it!
You are an amazing mom. I'm happy you are supporting Will by letting him finish up this school year. You can do it!
Good luck. We are struggling to support one of our kids right now too, but we are getting great help from our school. I've had to realize that not all of my children are going to achieve the same and that if I can get them to the end of each day, week or grade with their self worth intact, then I have succeeded.
We really loved RDL and we are really loving DMG in Okotoks now. I love the quality and quantity of resources that the foothills school division provides. DMG is also very diverse in the different types of students that it supports. We have many classmates with ADHD, Autism, students with aid - dogs, several students who are dwarfs, and children with Downs syndrome. I really appreciate that this school tries to support and accept kids with many different needs; physical, emotional and scholastic...
I also like the idea of keeping my family together longer. It's nice to have them looking out for each other.
Heather
Jenn you are such a good Mom. As you face so many decisions for your kids, you will do the right thing, you have such a great perspective and I love reading your blog. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!
Post a Comment