Tuesday, October 23, 2012

We all learn a little

Logan ran his first Cross Country Divisional Race and was hoping to qualify for Zones.

I was quite excited because this was a course I had run when I was young and athletic. It was my favorite course. I arrived to find Logan dashing around the green space from one group of friends to another, to grab a sip of water and change his shirt. One running with one idea after the other.

 
A Mother's advice to this overly perky child was: "You should conserve your energy."
Logan's response, "Mom! Do you know we get to miss the whole day of school!"
'Message Send Failure'
 Ah yes, it seems to be a family trait. To be squoze out into the back row 'On Your Mark'.
Don't worry, Logan is great with speed, so I was sure to tell him this was not a race of that nature. Instead, he needed to pace himself. As any 11 year old might respond, "I know, I know Mom."
And so the 2 km distance run began. Logan took the outside lane to get around all the front row runners. As he rounded the corner and out of sight I was close to falling over in pride/joy. He had taken 3rd place as they began to set the pace. He later informed me that I was incorrect. He was actually in 1st. I was obviously too busy with my eye behind the camera, and tracking Chase. All things happen for a reason. If I had seen him in first place I would have fallen over!
 It seemed to take forever for him to come back into sight. And when he did, I was so relieved to see him. He placed 13th. When I asked him what happened he said he was tired. AND! he was frustrated because he knew he could do better. This was a first, and last chance kind of day.
In my opinion, it was a great experience. And I'm sure he learned something along the way.

No comments: