A friend asked me if family activities are fun/inexpensive here? My first thought was. Yes fun. Yes, inexpensive. And then my second thought was: BUT we are rather boring. To the beach and back again. To the pool and back again. We don't seek out adventure tours...we don't buy into commercialization and tourism .... and I was feeling a little guilty about that. I think of this trip as an opportunity to kick back, play with the kids and eliminate all every day pressures and just have fun.
However, every year we leave feeling guilty that we have not explored enough. We arrive to our comfortable setting. Enjoy a similar routine with similar destinations.
Well this year we have set aside some time to do a little more and travel a little further. With the kids a little older it's becoming easier to take the longer road trips and explore. We are glad we DID. It was an experience of a lifetime. The highlight for me was the humidity and cool air (20 degress celicius). The tropical rainforest looks cold and damp. But it was far from that. It was a perfect temperature of comfort. It felt like we were in a rejuvination therapy treatment. We ran the risk of not seeing the volcano and that risk was realized when the cloud cover remained quite low for the majority of our stay. But we saw enough of the volcano to make the trip worth it.
But we were able to share volcanic activity with the boys. This was especially important to Logan as he's studying Volcanos in school this year.
On Saturday evening (the kids) Auntie arrived with an Easter gift . She asked them to close their eyes.
They are looking at: The Chipmunks- The Squeakquel
I have a new standing joke as we have discussed knowing the Costa Rican road signs. As you're driving along you randomly encounter 1/2 a road. This usually occurs over streams/rivers. I've said if you go from a whole road to 1/2 a road then you should know the sign you are approaching is telling you to Yield to oncoming traffic.
They are looking at: The Chipmunks- The Squeakquel
I have a new standing joke as we have discussed knowing the Costa Rican road signs. As you're driving along you randomly encounter 1/2 a road. This usually occurs over streams/rivers. I've said if you go from a whole road to 1/2 a road then you should know the sign you are approaching is telling you to Yield to oncoming traffic. But that's not all. Mix the features of the road with the characteristics of the drivers. They are described as "always in a hurray to stop." They race to whereever they are going and then sit back. They also drive irratically (in my opinion). They round corners in the middle of the road. SO, as we followed Dad to the Volcano we watched him almost be taken out by a Bus.
I also say, if we are to be driven into the jungle due to an unfortunate overcorrection to avoid an accident then I hope we encounter rubber tree
A close-up
This is the view out our little Cabana with a view of the Volcano. 3/4 of the Volcano is covered in cloud.
This is what we did to pass the time when we were waiting. Sadie's hair is getting long it blows in the wind when she runs.
A close-up
This is the view out our little Cabana with a view of the Volcano. 3/4 of the Volcano is covered in cloud.
This is what we did to pass the time when we were waiting. Sadie's hair is getting long it blows in the wind when she runs.
The navigators. I was rather embarrassed with how ill prepared we were. Luckily the hike was easy BUT we left home forgetting: a baby carrier, sunglasses (because Sadie placed them under a bed) ample snacks, water and footwear.
Positions for hiking with a little one when we forgot our baby carrier.
Baby bundle wrapped in a Sorong.
The jungle trek
There's often an opportunity to swing at the end of a hike.
Lake Arenal.
The little spots of steam are volcanic activity. Every time one popped out of the side of the volcano there was a sound of something similar to a gunshot going off.
Here's a close-up
Lake Arenal in the background. I was wondering why I was not seeing any water sports until we started talking about what could possibly live in a fresh water lake bordered by a dense tropical jungle in the middle of Costa Rica.
The interesting cloud formation as the weather began to clear
Sadie jumped on this bridge. She was prompted.
Let's make MOM nervous by swinging the bridge. Shocking that Dad would assist in such an idea.
Logan is pretty proud because his Cub group was taking a 2 hour hike while he is away. It was important for him to fulfull a hike in his own way. Perhaps I'll take some time to teach him a little more about preparation.
Here's a close-up
Lake Arenal in the background. I was wondering why I was not seeing any water sports until we started talking about what could possibly live in a fresh water lake bordered by a dense tropical jungle in the middle of Costa Rica.
The interesting cloud formation as the weather began to clear
Sadie jumped on this bridge. She was prompted.
Let's make MOM nervous by swinging the bridge. Shocking that Dad would assist in such an idea.
Logan is pretty proud because his Cub group was taking a 2 hour hike while he is away. It was important for him to fulfull a hike in his own way. Perhaps I'll take some time to teach him a little more about preparation.
We arranged our schedule so we'd be returning for the Arenal Volcano in time to meet Derrick (my brother) and Jillene (his fiance) arriving via Calgary.
I know these pictures are not the best. I had the absolute wrong position. I felt backed into a corner. But they're something for those interested.
Jillene.
Their tour bus taking them to their resort with Dad's car following. We had our own caravan from the airport. If you're wondering why Derrick and Jillene are not returning with us. It's because Derrick won a free trip to an All-Inclusive as he was involved in a half-time show contest at a Stamps Game.
Dad and I picked up the supplies for our project.
Wedding preparation in progress.
I know these pictures are not the best. I had the absolute wrong position. I felt backed into a corner. But they're something for those interested.
Jillene.
Their tour bus taking them to their resort with Dad's car following. We had our own caravan from the airport. If you're wondering why Derrick and Jillene are not returning with us. It's because Derrick won a free trip to an All-Inclusive as he was involved in a half-time show contest at a Stamps Game.
Dad and I picked up the supplies for our project.
Wedding preparation in progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment