Monday, January 14, 2013

Labor of Love

Last year we attempted to flood a rink in our back yard. We failed miserably. Meaning, the only thing we managed to flood were the city gutters.

This year I visited my favorite shop: Princess Auto, bought a $120 tarp and said, "We're going to build a rink!"
Ryan cursed me. First, for the purchase and second for the make-work project. But with every  good idea (presented to children) comes a winning project in motion.

We are complete Amatuers.


Here's our work crew.

At 3 am I heard a pop! My worst nightmare was that the pressure of the water had burst a hole in the tarp. Instead the pressure pulled the tarp away from the frame and the makeshift swimming pool drained into our yard....I raced out to repair the damage and reduce the loss. I had no idea it would take another 3 hours to refill. And so, this was my moment in history when I dedicated a middle of the night service to Project Rink. At 6 am I returned indoors with a hope that the damage was not permanent. This picture was taken when the tarped pulled from the frame AGAIN! in the middle of the next day. Luckily, no draining occurred. Otherwise, we may have thrown in the towel on another year.

Isn't it worth fighting for?!

Two days later. Voila! Guess what I'm standing on!

And the rest is history.

On the first day of skating: Wednesday January 9th, the boys came home from school, threw on their skates and skated until dinner. They then took a break to eat while wearing their outdoor gear including their skates! After dinner they returned to the ice until bedtime.

24 hours later, I was looking at this. A complete white out. So, while the boys were out at the Globetrotters game, I shoveled the ice 3 times (for 2.5 hours) to clear it off. This most definitely has transformed into labor. I don't remember signing up to shovel my yard!

If you are wearing skates and need to make a visit to the bathroom then you are required to crawl through the house. That is, if you don't want to remove your skates. Will decided to army crawl. Chase was happy to mimic.

On the first Saturday. The boys skated all. day. long.
Happy Kids = A Happy Life.

No comments: