Friday, March 19, 2010

Chore Day

At the exact moment I start feeling overwhelmed on how to keep up with things....an opportune answer presents itself.

I was feeling overwhelmed because I never make the time to get the household chores done. One Saturday morning at 8:30 am I announced the kitchen would be closed at 9am. It seems we laze around and take shifts eating bowls of cereal. I thought if we could complete the project of breakfast then I could complete the task of cleaning more accurately. And so the process began:
Ryan: starts with vacuuming the main floor ~ and other things :)




9am:
Jenn: tidy kitchen, coach and direct (but NOT all the kitchen because I'm off to train Quinten)
Logan: clean boys bathroom
Will: tidy toys
Colby: make bed and tidy room
Quinten: clean main floor bathroom sink & countertop
Sadie: run around aimlessly

9:15am
Ryan: vacuum stairs
Jenn: vacuum upper floor, while organizing paraphenalia, while taking breaks to coach and direct
Logan: coach Quinten through the entire process of scrubbing the main floor toilet
Will: make bed and tidy room
Colby: clean master bathroom sink & countertop
Quinten: clean main floor toilet
Sadie: climb onto the table and mix leftover cereal with a glass of water. Creating a wonderful presentation of slop and mush.

9:30am
Ryan: vacuum upper floor with Jenn - focus on baseboards
Jenn: clean kitchen table, vacuum upper floor, taking breaks to coach and direct
Logan: coach Colby through the entire process of scrubbing the master toilet
Will: Babysit Sadie
Colby: clean master toilet
Quinten: make bed
Sadie: play while being watched by Will

9:45am
Ryan: still vacuuming
Jenn: still vacuuming ... and some dusting...some directing ....
Logan: make bed
Will: still babysitting
Colby: break to play
Quinten: break to play
Sadie: still playing

10am
Ryan: returning cleaning supplies to closet
Jenn: finishing touches and check on kids playing and babysitting
Logan: Clean Mirrors and Windows
Will: Playtime with Sadie
Colby: Playtime
Quinten: Playtime
Sadie: Playtime

Something that once overwhelmed me and took me all day was just completed in 1 HOUR!

I know you've heard this before but people ask me how I do it?

I repeat: With HELP.

I have recorded this information more for myself than for my audience. This was our recipe for cleaning success.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

So what did you do with the rest of the day.... ha ha.. Posting at 12:30 pm.. The joys!! So Cute!

Leigh said...

I forgot to say how cute they all look!!! Sounds like we will get chores done here in about 15 min!! Six sleeps and counting!!

Mackenzie Richards said...

Kids cleaning toilets?! Mayson and Avery always ask me to do it, and I let them have a turn, but I should just let go and just let them do it ALL. I am always wary of the additional mess it will make. Good for Logan for teaching his brothers how to do it! And vacuuming body parts is always fun. My girls like the stomach and armpits.

The Bullknitter said...

Love it!